Last month I went to Texas to visit my family. I wanted to use this trip as a challenge to travel light and still never repeat an outfit. Traveling light is considerably easier in the summer months when you don’t need to bundle (especially in the Texas heat) so it’s a great time to give this challenge a go during your summer travels.
I’ve included some tips and tricks as well as a packing list in more generalized terms but I’ve also linked the items that I brought as well in case you’re interested.
You can see my daily outfit log below and on my Instagram. If you’re planning on traveling both light and stylishly this summer, use #NoRepeatsStillStylish on social so I can check out your travel looks!
Just keep reading for the One Week (But Still Stylish) Summer Packing List and Guidelines!
Stylish Summer Travel Packing Guidelines
I always think of the line from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie “it’s more like guidelines” while writing this out. These are some general tips and ideas to help you be your most stylish self even while traveling.
- Pick a color scheme for most of your pieces. This helps you more easily mix and match the different pieces you brought with you. Neutrals are generally ideal (black, white, beige, brown) then you can layer a secondary accent color on top. For this trip, I wore black, brown, beige, blue.
- Wear each item 2-3 ways. You’ll get more wear out of each item you bring and will save you precious suitcase space by cutting out redundancies.
- Also think about bringing items that can play double duty. For example, maxi dresses can also be swim suit cover ups.
- Plan your outfits a head of time. Thinking through the different ways you can wear each item then jotting them down in your phone is a great way to plan out your oh so stylish travel outfits and save time while you’re on your trip.
- Start with a plain base then dress it up with lipstick and jewelry. Since jewelry and lipstick don’t take up much space you can pretty much go to town and fill up your beauty bag/jewelry roll. Between these and changing up your hairstyle, you can give a simple dress a totally different look.
Stylish Summer Travel Packing List
(Plan on one of each but wear it twice)
- maxi dress
- short day dress
- chambray shirtdress
- tank top
- tee shirt
- chambray button up
- denim jacket
- straw hat
- plenty of jewelry
Travel Day: tee + jeans + cardigan + denim jacket
Day 1: short day dress + sandals
Day 2: tank + shorts + sandals + hat
Day 3: chambray dress + belt + hat + sandals
Day 4: tee + shorts + sandals
Day 5: day dress + chambray button up + flats
Day 6: maxi dress + belt + sandals + hat
Day 7: tank + jeans + chambray button up + flats
I hope you don’t mind the flat lays. I ended up not taking a bunch of photos on this trip because family time>photo time but this will give you an idea of what I packed.
What are your best style tips for travel? Let me know in the comments below!
Until next time,